Saturday, July 23, 2005

I Just Got Back From A Local DSM "Party"

Chapel Hill's was held at a local Unitarian Universalist church, a little out-of-the-way parish to which I got lost on the way. I didn't quite know what to expect aside from the DVD on Rep. John Conyers' hearing on the memo, but it ended up being pretty cool. The Conyers hearing featured, among others, former CIA agent Ray McGovern; ambassador Joseph Wilson (who unfortunately pronounces "nuclear" the same way Bush does); John Bonifaz, a co-founder of afterdowningstreet.org; Cindy Sheehan, mother of a soldier killed in Iraq; and a host of Democratic reps including Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), Charles Rangel (D-NY), and Barbara Lee (D-Calif.). Most of the arguments and points the raised would have been familiar to anyone who's been following the DSM case, but it was stirring to see and hear its front-line advocates plead their case so emphatically.

After we (there were about 40 or 50 present) finished watching the DVD, it was time for discussion. Near as I could tell, the group consisted mainly of parishioners of the progressive/pacificist/Kucinich stripe, and the median age was probably in the mid- to late-40s. I was the sole African-American attendee, and I noticed only two people that looked close to my age (I'm 24). But it was a good little talk; I even spoke up myself on several occasions. People seemed generally amenable to my contention that we as progressives and liberals need to get serious about proselytizing, even though talking to conservatives and the politically apathetic can be like pulling teeth sometimes. But as I emphasized there, we're in the minority right now--so the onus is on us to show people why we're right and the right is wrong.

So overall, I'm glad I went. A couple people asked for my contact info, so I guess this blog might actually gain a few readers . . . imagine that. (Caveat emptor, UUs: I have no idea what I'm talking about.) I wish I had more opportunities to discuss politics with knowledgeable individuals, but I don't know about any left-leaning groups around here that have regular meetings. Also, I was disappointed that so few young people turned out. I was kinda hoping there'd be some eligible liberal ladies in the house, but there was only that one girl and I didn't feel like hitting on her because she didn't speak up at all. I like 'em lively, you know. If anyone knows of any other happenin' progressive groups or events in this area, I'd appreciate a heads-up in the comments.

Update: Seems my brother knows the girl I saw there and got to her first, so it's just as well that I kept my mouth shut after all.